A Zimbabwean journalist, Busani Ncube died in a car accident Sunday, July 28, 2013; when his car was hit by another car on Bach Street in Bulawayo.
Busani was a political activist working for Welshman Ncube led MDC campaign team. He died on the spot while other party supporters travelling with him including journalist Nkululeko Sibanda were seriously injured.
Welshman Ncube’s MDC and Morgan Tsvangirai’s MDC-T go heads-on against Mugabe’s 33-year rule in national elections this week.
According to The Zimbabwean newspaper; ‘The MDC chairperson for Bulawayo province, Oscar Ncube confirmed the accident.’
Speaking to The Zimbabwean while at the United Bulawayo Hospital where he visited the injured party supporters he said:
“Yes I can confirm that Busani died in the accident .Some of the injured are admitted at the hospital including Sibanda.”
Zimbabweans head to the polls in presidential, senate, national assembly and local government elections on July 31, 2013.
Many politicians opposed to Mugabe’s regime have died in mysterious road accidents in the past. The country has since independence in 1980 witnessed scores of deaths of politicians who met their fate in car accidents, leaving unanswered questions about the suspicious circumstances.
In June of this year an outspoken Zimbabwean member of parliament investigating the ties between the ruling party and the country’s diamond industry died in a car accident under what some call ‘suspicious circumstances’.
Edward Chindori-Chininga died on June 19, 2013 after his car reportedly failed to stop and rammed into a tree.
Chindori-Chininga, who was a member of the parliamentary portfolio committee on mines and energy and former minister, was concerned about the plundering of the country’s diamonds by members of Robert Mugabe-led ZANU (PF).
Just a week before his death, Chininga released a report exposing ZANU PF officials ‘corrupt practices within the diamond industry.
The maverick politician dubbed ‘Zimbabwe’s own whistleblower’ campaigned against murky business practices by officials in Mugabe’s party at the Marange Diamond fields.
- Mystery Zim car-crash deaths haunt Zanu-PF (wikileaks-forum.com)
- MP is killed as Mugabe releases diamond dogs (zimbabweelection.com)
- [FFZE] Zimbabwe Election Violence This Week (zimbabweelection.com)
- Zimbabwe Election: The odds in favour of Morgan Tsvangirai (zimbabweelection.com)
- MDC’s Ncube ‘open to pact to beat Mugabe’ (zimbabweelection.com)
- Harare resists Mugabe and Zanu (PF) (thezimbabwean.co)
- Zimbabwe Has Its Own Anti-Mugabe Whistleblower (wikileaks-forum.com)
- Robert Mugabe plotted Jacob Zuma assassination, document claims (guardian.co.uk)